RMA Study Day
Monday 29th April 2019, University of York Music Department
Contributions from Postgraduate Students especially welcome
Call for submissions:
The Department of Music, University of York invites proposals for 20-minute papers as part of a study day on Nordic music. The music from these regions has attracted a significant amount of scholarly attention in recent years and is continuing to grow. Furthermore, research in this area has become increasingly heterogeneous. This diversity means there is an international community of researchers who are approaching this music from necessarily different angles.
To embrace this range of approaches, the programming committee welcomes papers on any aspect of Nordic music. Submissions are especially encouraged from postgraduate researchers, as well as established academics. Proposals might address, but not in any way be limited to, the following areas of music from Northern Europe:
- National identity
- Musical modernism and Postmodernism
- The relationship between music and Nordic environments (both natural and cultural)
- Approaches to composition
- Approaches to musical performance
- Analytical approaches
- Impacts on music theory
- Cross-relationships between “contemporary classical” music and “popular” music in the Nordic countries.
How to submit:
Please email proposals for 20-minute papers (plus 10 minutes for questions) to Owen Burton (email@example.com) with the following information:
- Name and affiliation
- Contact email
- Presentation title
- Abstract of no more than 250 words
- Short biography of no more than 50 words.
Submission deadline for proposals:
1st March 2019
Owen Burton, Prof. Tim Howell, Dr Richard Powell, Claire McGinn.