We are reopening the nomination process for the positions of Vice-President and President-elect of the RMA until Friday 8th July. If you’d like to come and join us, and help run the Association for the benefit of all its members, we’d love to hear from you.
We are particularly looking for new Council members who will support and help take forward our initiatives to become a more diverse Association. We would like to encourage nominations that reflect the full diversity of music studies and from individuals who self-identify as members of groups that are often under-represented in the RMA and music academia more broadly. We are actively working towards making our activities fully accessible and our meetings are virtual or hybrid. We would welcome representation from colleagues with a particular understanding or experience of disability.
- Applicants for President must be nominated by a current member of the RMA Council.
- Applicants for Vice-President must be nominated by a current member of the RMA Council and are expected to be individuals ‘of established standing in the study of the art and science of music and in the governance of the Association’. This typically means that nominees are current or former members of the Council.
Once you have been nominated, there is a second stage in the process: you need to prepare a ‘statement of candidacy’ (no more than a single A4 page). This then goes out with the list of names to the RMA membership over the summer, so everyone who is eligible to vote will read it.
The statement should contain the following information (bullet points should be avoided):
- Name and current occupation/role
- Relevant previous positions
- Short résumé of research
- Any honours
- Administrative experience; committee positions held
- Personal statement
The ‘personal statement’ really means a few words about what you’d hope to contribute as a member of Council and is the most important part of your statement. The whole statement should be written in the first person. Please send this to the Chair of Search Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 8 July 2022.