The RMA welcomes proposals from conference organisers for the affiliation of their events to the RMA. Benefits of affiliation include:
- free advertising of the event through the RMA website and social media accounts
- free, or reduced cost circulation of information through RMA mailings to members
- access to advice and support from RMA Officers and members of the Events Committee
In addition, the Committee will consider applications for financial support. Conference affiliation grants will not normally exceed £500 (£300 for a one-day event/study day).
How to apply
Conference organisers can apply for both affiliation and financial support using this Application Form, which must be completed and returned to email@example.com. We have two deadlines for application each year: 15 March, and 30 October. Applications received by the deadlines will receive consideration within three months. Applications for retrospective conference grants will not be considered.
The post-event report guidance (below) includes important notes on the RMA’s expectations which we ask you to read in advance of submitting your application.
To be considered for affiliation/funding, conferences must:
- be open to members of the public;
- include substantial scholarly content relating to music;
- not overlap with the main RMA events already scheduled
When considering applications, the Committee will prioritise events that, in the Committee’s judgement:
- make a fresh contribution to development of the discipline;
- are accessible to the Association’s membership;
- have a realistic and achievable business plan
The Association does not usually offer repeat financial support for recurring events unless the location or theme are substantially different. We expect that RMA members will be able to benefit directly (usually from exclusive registration discounts at least).
RMA Expectations and Post-Event Reporting
Where the RMA makes a financial contribution to a conference or study day, we require organisers to report back on the event before funds can be released.
- We ask you to provide a narrative report for the website. See guidance for authors
- We ask you to complete a financial report for the Association’s Events Committee. Download guidance and template
The post-event report guidance includes important notes on the RMA’s expectations which we ask you to read in advance of submitting your application.